Thanksgiving has come and gone, and you likely spent weeks – maybe months – preparing for it. But have you thought about the extensive logistics behind-the-scenes? Given the sheer volume of turkeys and the number of retailers and 3PLs involved, a successful Thanksgiving feast involves elaborate, comprehensive supply chain strategies and enhanced logistics to get your favorite foods on your table in time for dinner. Here are 10 facts about the Thanksgiving supply chain.
The Thanksgiving Supply Chain
1. Each year, producers in the United States raise an estimated 254 million turkeys, which is valued at nearly $5 billion.
2. Americans will spend more than $1 billion on the 50+ million turkeys over the Thanksgiving weekend.
3. According to World Business, a Thanksgiving meal travels up to 2,500 miles getting from farm to table.
4. Raising millions of turkeys in time for Thanksgiving isn’t possible. To solve this problem, 90% of the turkeys sold for Thanksgiving dinner are frozen. Fresh turkeys make up the remaining 10% of turkeys.
5. IoT sensors ensure that the cold chain remains FSMA complaint, which boosts consumers’ confidence that the food they’re eating on Thanksgiving Day is safe.
6. Nearly 700,000 employees are hired for the holiday season, including the many thousands who work behind-the-scenes.
7. With 20% of annual demand, over 80 million pounds of cranberries is consumed on Thanksgiving.
8. More than 50 million Americans will travel at least 50 miles to get their Thanksgiving dinner.
9. Turkeys are given anywhere between 10 to 18 weeks on the farm before being sent to slaughter. This allows producers to deliver fresh turkeys to retailers just in time for Thanksgiving sales.
10. Turkeys that are stored at 0 degrees Fahrenheit can last 3 years, which provides safety stock for producers during peak shipping to retailers.
Stay Tuned for Facts About the Christmas Supply Chain
Thanks to supply chain networks and logistics, your Thanksgiving feast is made possible – starting on a farm, to the distribution center, to the grocery store, and to your table. Stay tuned for how the supply chain can drive sales for companies during the busy holiday season.